Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Slow-cooked Sausage Casserole

Hello there!! Well we are taking things a bit slloooooowwww here today on the farm.
Actually that's completely made up, nothing seems to go slow around here, however we do have a little slow cooking happening. As I'm my oven is still sulking and awaiting repair I had to resort to the good old trusty slow-cooker for dinner last night. I had sausage casserole planned which I often just shove in the oven for an hour or so but it is just as good cooked slowly over the afternoon in the slow-cooker. Now this is not really a 'recipe', it's more a let-me-share-with-you-what-I-cooked-for-the-fam-yesterday type thing. It's extremely slap-dash, throw in whatever you may have in the house kind of cooking. My kind of cooking. I definitely prefer to bake, could happily bake all day long, but really only cook dinner because if I didn't we would all die. Period.

                                                                                   


So, let's get on with this casserole shall we? I used to make this using one of those packet powder thingys from the supermarket but now just use what I have in my fridge and pantry to add flavour and fore-go the added powder that scares me a tad because I'm not exactly sure what is in it. HOWEVER...I am not saying I'm totally against them and they certainly make life easier for a heck of a lot of busy mums which has got to be a good thing.
Ok, here we go................

                                                                               


                                                        Sausage Casserole 

                                                                                

1 packet sausages, cut into approx 1" pieces (chicken, beef, whatever you fancy)
1-2 onions, roughly chopped
1 sweet potatoe, roughly chopped
3-4 potatoes, roughly chopped
3 carrots, yep, roughly chopped
frozen peas
1 teaspoon mince garlic (use fresh cloves if you have)
2 tablespoons tomatoe paste
About 3/4 tin apricot nectar
A good splosh of red wine if you have or so desire
salt/pepper
A few good sprinkles of dried italian herbs

(This is purely what I threw in yesterdays batch. Please feel free to add or subtract what you like. Or ignore this altogether.....)

Throw everything into slow-cooker pot, give a light stir to mix paste etc through, pop on lid and cook on high for approx 4 hours. (I'm guessing you could do on low for 6-8 hours)

I added my peas at about the 3 1/2 hour mark as they really don't need long at all.

And that's it!!

                                                                                 
 

Eat and enjoy!! As I said this is really very much a throw-together very average family meal but I thought I would share it on here as I know I always love hearing what other 'normal' mums are cooking up for their families.And one can get sick and tired of thinking up new things to give the children who may then turn their adorable little noses up at whatever you have slaved away at to try and spice things up a bit. Or is that just us??!??

                                                                                   

      

I'm off to enjoy a little 4-days-until-spring sunshine......


                                                                                 
     

Have a lovely one...............



                                            Janelle xx                                                         

3 comments:

  1. Thank you it looks lovely, will try this in my aga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Janelle, I've been following you on IG for a while and have been meaning to check out your blog. Love it! Especially love this sausage casserole recipe which I must give a go soon. I'm glad I stopped by! :) X

    ReplyDelete