Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Homemade Dressing.....

Hey there!! It's Wednesday which would mean we are in the kitchen whipping up a little homemade mayo yes? Well of course, obviously that's what Wednesdays are for.....                                                                                  



Actually I'll come clean now and admit I'm really not too sure as to whether this is technically a 'mayo' or a 'dressing'. Help me here peeps...what's the definition of these? Is there indeed a difference? Is it worth our time me even banging on about it??!?
Alright, let's get on with this...and let's call it 'salad dressing' for today ok?! So, this is the dressing I grew up eating. My mum used to constantly have a few jars of this stored in the fridge over Summer and it was what we'd pour over our salads and spread in our school sandwiches etc. Now I have my own little fam it's really nice to be making this for them. We have over the years been buying the supermarket mayo but since I'm trying to limit/cut-out-entirely preservatives and those nasty numbers that are creeping into way too many products I figured I'd stop buying the dressing and make my own. Well, my mum's...and it is easy. Ridiculously easy...

                                                                               


If you're on a no-sugar kick then this isn't for you. Sorry! I do try to moderate our sugar intake but I figured here I would rather us eat a little bit of sugar than a little bit of I-have-no-idea-what-is-in-this-jar type thing.
Ok....on with the recipe. If you can even call it that. Not much to it really!!

                                                                               

                                                                             
                                                    Homemade Salad Dressing

Ingredients

1/2 tin condensed milk
1 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
salt/pepper

Method

1. Throw all ingredients into a mixing bowl.

2. Beat until all is well combined.

3. Pour into your jar or whatever you want to store it in. I'm thinking I need a few pretty mason jars to keep mine in but that's probably not relevant at the moment...

4. That is it!

                                                                                     

                                                                                 

This should keep for a week or even more in your fridge as the vinegar should help preserve it. But if your family is anything like mine it has no hope of lasting more than a couple of days!

                                                                                 

                                                                               
Right, I'm off to scrub the house so I can give myself a few hours of fun-time before it's school pickup and the chaos begins. I'm thinking I can hear my sewing machine calling me today....

Have a good one.....


                                                                                Janelle  xx



                                           
                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment