Ok, so today we are whipping up a Lemon and Poppyseed cake. I may have even shared this already?!?...it's really just a variation of my easy-as orange cake, but this time I made it using lemon instead of an orange and, being in full-on
Ready for action??......
Lemon and Poppyseed Cake
1 cup self raising flour - sifted
1/2 cup sugar (I use raw, just use whatever you have or prefer)
Rind of 1/2 a lemon - finely grated
pinch of salt
80 grams butter - melted
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 teaspn poppyseeds
1. Heat your oven to 160 degrees
2. In a bowl throw in your sifted flour, sugar, lemon rind poppyseeds and salt.
3. Now in a jug throw in your melted butter, 2 eggs, lemon juice and then fill up to 1 cup with milk. You won't need much milk at all. Give all this the laziest of whisks then dump it all in with your dry ingredients.
(if this all seems like way too much slaving in the kitchen for you I suggest you just throw all your ingredients in the bowl and skip to number 4. You will probs need about 2 tablespoons of milk)
4. Ok, beat all this together then pour mixture into a greased and lined baking tray. I often use a loaf tin for this but this time I used this ring tin and it turned out fine. I think I may have cooked it for about 5 minutes less.
5. Bang this in the oven for approx 30 minutes.
6. Once cooked and out of the oven let it cool in it's tin for about 5 minutes then tip out onto a cooling rack.
7. Now you could just leave as is, sprinkle a little icing sugar over the top or do what we did and pour a generous amount of vanilla icing over the top then sprinkle with coconut.
8. You must, m.u.s.t., lick any excess icing from the table. For cleaning purposes of course...
Right then...I believe a kettle needs to be boiled, cups need to be poured and cake needs to be sliced and scoffed...
Happy baking people!!!