So...we are talking savoury for a bit of a change up around here...pizza roll ups...pinwheels...scrolls...whatever you may choose to name them in your household I have an easy-as quick no-fuss how-to guide for you right here.....
*Insert pretty picture of ready made food item......oh yummmm.......
So, have we decided what to call these babies?? Hhmmm....let's go with pizza scrolls because I think anything with the word "pizza" in it will appeal to pretty much any child, or adult, out there.....
2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
30grams cold butter - chopped into small pieces
1 cup milk
Whatever you please.
For these ones I used....
Tomatoe paste - enough to give a good spread around
Cheddar cheese - grated
1. Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees
2. Throw your flour into a large-ish bowl then add your chopped up butter. Rub the butter into the flour with your finger tips. Add milk and mix until just combined.
Toss into a food processor and wizz away.
I do have a processor but honestly..it takes no time at all to rub in the butter and mix in the milk and my hands are alot quicker and easier to wash than the processor parts!?!
3. Ok..roll out your dough into a rectangle...roughly 30 - 40 cm...I've never actually measured...guess away I say...
4. Now spread on your tomatoe paste, sprinkle on that basil, ham then cheese.
5. Roll up your dough into a log shape and cut your scrolls...I make mine about 2cm (1 inch) thick.
6. Pop them onto a lined baking tray and throw into the oven for approx 15-20 minutes.
And that...is that.
How quick and easy? And tasty?? The possibilities here for fillings are pretty much endless. We started off making them with vegemite and cheese in them but as all three kiddos like the pizza ones I have stuck with them for now. Next time I will be adding pineapple and olives. Maybe sundried toms and feta? A smart mummy on Instagram said she sneeks vegies into hers - brilliant!
And the absolute best thing that I reeeeally love about these, aside from the fact they are delicious and my children all happily eat them, is once they have cooled down I simply wrap them separately in clingfilm and throw them into the freezer and there is the school lunches...well part of them anyway....done and dusted...always a good thing!!
Ok...that's it from me today...happy baking...would love to hear any further suggestions for fillings....always up for fresh new food ideas!!
See you next time.....