Sunday, April 28, 2013

Orange Cake.......

Hi there......I'm writing this post on a lazy Sunday afternoon as I know come tomorrow there will be no lazy time in sight. Due to my continuing obsession with all things baking I am sharing another recipe that we are absolutely loving at the moment. It is simple to make and reeeeally simple to scoff down. I introduce to you..........

Orange Cake..........

                                                                               


I have no idea where this recipe originally came from. I opened my extremely messy recipe book awhile back and a small piece of paper fluttered out with this recipe written on it in my mother's handwriting. I had a quick glance at it as I was shoving it back in amongst the mess  putting it back in the book and decided it deserved a 'test bake'. I'm so happy I did as it's now a definate winner around here, both for the baker and the eaters. I've changed it up just a little and added the poppy seeds.... Like to give it a whirl??............

                                                                      Orange Cake

3 ozs (90gms) butter, melted
2 eggs
Juice of 1/2 orange
Rind of 1/2 orange
Milk
1 cup self-raising flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon poppyseeds

1. Pre-heat your oven to 160 degrees.

                                                                                   
2. Into a jug/cup (I use my trusty pyrex jug as it has the measurements on it) pour the melted butter, the eggs, the orange juice and then add enough milk to bring it all up to 1 cup. (Usually doesn't take much milk) I like to give it all a quick whisk with a fork at this stage but I'm not sure if that's actually necessary.

                                                                             
3. Now sift your flour into a bowl and add the sugar, orange rind and poppyseeds.
                                                               
4. Pour in you butter etc from the jug into the dry ingredients.

                                                                                 
5. Now grab your electric mixer and beat for hhmmmm...maybe 4  minutes?( I'm rather impatient and only have a hand held mixer so mine probably only gets a couple of minutes.)

6. Pour your lovely orangey smelling mixture into a greased/lined baking tin. I use a loaf tin that measures approx  9.5" x 5.5".

                                                                                   
7. Bake for 30 minutes. Allow the cake to cool in the tin for a few minutes then flip it out onto a cake rack.

8. At this point you could poke holes all over the top of your cake with a skew then pour over an orange syrup. I'm yet to do this so don't feel quite qualified to give you instructions!? But I will add it to this recipe once I have tried (and of course taste-tested it!!)

                                                                               
9. You can of course ice it once it's cooled off. We sometimes do and sometimes don't. When I do I just make up a normal batch of vanilla icing but add a squeeze of juice from the leftover orange half in place of some of the water.

And there you have it.....an easy delicious orange cake.

                                                                               

 
I'm off to find some dinner and pack the school lunches....any guesses what'll be in them?!.....

Have a great week........


                                             Janelle  xx                                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment